2018 Regional Convention/Competition
Dates: March 22, 2018 through March 25, 2018
Carpe Diem, 2017 Region 11 Chorus Champions
FEATURING GUEST QUARTET:
- Friday, December 8 – Deadline for Housing Forms due (no $$; room lists only)
- Tuesday, December 12 – Contest Registration links email to Presidents/TC from SAI HQ
- Monday, January 15 – Deadline to register your quartet with Sweet Adelines
- Friday, January 19 – Deadline for Registration and Housing ($$ due)
- Monday, January 22 – Deadline for QUARTET CONTEST entries
- Tuesday, January 23 – Deadline for CHORUS CONTEST entries
- Monday, January 29 – Draw for Order of Appearance
- Friday, March 9 – Deadline for all forms (sent in February)
- Thursday, March 22 – BRIEFING – Quartets and Chorus Directors and Presidents/TCs
- Friday, March 23 – QUARTET CONTEST
- Saturday, March 24 – CHORUS CONTEST
- Jolene Forzetting – Education Director Jolenecf@gmail.com
- Tammy Ragsdale – Convention Manager VHSCHappyDirector@gmail.com
- Leah Tanzy-Roberts – Asst. Convention Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terrie Parker – Competition Coordinator email@example.com
- Colleen McCormick – Housing Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cynthia Howlett – Registration Chair email@example.com
- Bobbette Gantz – Official Panel Liaison BobbetteGantz@gmail.com
- Debbie Curtis – Communications/Program Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marie Stephany-Akbas – Transportation Chair Marie.Stephany@outlook.com
- Barbara McClinton – Awards Chair email@example.com
- Diane Rothberg / Stacey Seidman – Assisting Chorus Co-Chairs firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linda Ragsdale – Secretary email@example.com
- Laura La Borde – Finance Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline – January 19 (all money due)
All Region 11 competitors and/or attendees must register online. Although registration is now covered by your dues, we still need to know how many are coming so we can prepare badges, seating charts, program, etc.
- All-Event ticket for Region 11 members – $0
- All-Event ticket for Non-Region 11 members/Guests – $80
- Youth (age 25 and under) All-Event ticket for Non-Region 11 members/Guests – $40
- Single-Event ticket for Quartet Contest – $45
- Youth (age 25 and under) Single-Event ticket for Quartet Contest – $22.50
- Single-Event ticket for Chorus Contest/Parade of Champions – $45
- Youth (age 25 and under) Single-Event ticket for Chorus Contest/Parade of Champions – $22.50
- Sunday Brunch – $37 ($42 on site)
If you weren’t at the Sunday Brunch last year, you really missed out! This is a very special way to end a fabulous weekend with 200+ of your closest friends! Music, awards, tears and fun are the order of the day! And you don’t want to miss the creative antics of Caroline McLean as our Installing Officer for the Regional Executive Committee!
- CHECK YOUR REGISTRATION INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE HITTING THE “COMPLETE REGISTRATION AND PAY” button, as you may only fill out the registration form ONCE. If you make an error and need to change any of your selections after hitting the button, do not attempt to re-register – contact the Regional Registration chair (region11registration@yahoo.
com) as soon as possible.
- All payments are processed through PayPal, whether you use your PayPal balance or a debit/credit card. Your payment is NOT COMPLETE unless you receive a confirmation email FROM PAYPAL that your transaction is completed.
- If for any reason you do not receive the confirmation email from PayPal (check your Spam/Junk folders first, and be sure you check the correct email), contact the Regional Registration chair as soon as possible to find out your payment options.DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RE-REGISTER.
- All payments made ONSITE for the meal event will be assessed the additional $5 fee, even if ordered with your registration. Save time and money – be sure to pay at the time of your registration for all your selections.
** Scroll to the bottom of this page to find the Online Registration Form.**
For questions about Registration, contact Registration Chair Cynthia Howlett: email@example.com
Deadline #1 – December 8 (list of rooms/roommates only)
Deadline #2 – January 19 (all money due)
Due to too many glitches with online housing last year, we’re going back to the familiar spreadsheets and having each chorus gather Housing reservations and money.
** Chorus Housing Chairs can download the Excel spreadsheet here: Spring Convention 2018 Housing Form
- Don’t forget that the Quartet and Chorus Briefing is on Thursday night at 7:00p for all competing quartets and chorus Directors and Presidents/TCs.
- Check-in time at the hotels is 3:00p. If you think you may need a room on Friday before 3:00p, it is recommended that you arrive on Thursday night.
- CREDIT CARDS – Giving the hotel a credit card will put a $50/day hold on your card (this is standard practice). If you don’t charge anything to your card, the hold will come off your card within 5-7 days after checkout.
- DEBIT CARDS – The $50/day will be deducted immediately from your account. Unused amounts will be refunded.
- CANCELLATIONS – If you need to cancel a room or a room night, you can get a refund if you cancel prior to 30 days before your arrival date. This is a Region 11 policy that supersedes the hotel cancellation policy due to contractual obligations with the hotel. If you need to cancel after that 30-day window, you will be charged for one night. Cancellations within 24 hours of arrival will be subject to a two-night charge.
ALL CANCELLATIONS (or changes) MUST BE MADE THROUGH THE REGION 11 HOUSING CHAIR.
**** NEW HOUSING POLICY ****
Any competitor choosing to stay at a hotel other than the DoubleTree or the Courtyard Marriott will be assessed a $50 fee. Names will be cross-checked with the List of Competitors, and invoices sent for those staying offsite. Unpaid assessments could jeopardize your chorus or quartet’s good standing with the region and jeopardize your eligibility to compete.
For questions about Housing, contact Housing Chair Colleen McCormick: firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW! COMPETE IN TWO QUARTETS
The Judge Specialists and the Education Direction Committee have developed a new policy allowing members to fulfill their desire to compete in more than one quartet! The policy now states: “A member may now compete in up to two different quartets during the same regional contest, as long as they are in different competition divisions (e.g., one quartet in the International Division and one in the Open Division). No more than two members per quartet may compete in the second quartet in the same regional contest.” More information can be found on the Sweet Adelines website: sweetadelines.com/competitionconvention/regionalcompetition/
QUARTET – NEW & RENEWALS
The paperwork for new and renewing Quartets must be submitted and processed before you can register for competition. New quartets or renewals received after January 15, 2018 will be charged additional registration fees.
The region will be using the shell again this year This means quartets will not be able to enter the stage from the middle curtain – you will enter from stage Right near the podium).
CHORUS PHOTOS ON STAGE
Choruses will have their official contest photo taken on stage again this year. Please remember to plan a pose in advance that you can get into quickly with everyone visible!
CONTEST ENTRY FORMS
Quartet and Chorus Contest Entry Forms will be e-mailed by SAI HQ the week of December 12. This form will also be available for download from the SAI website after this date.
- Completed QUARTET Entry Forms must be received by SAI HQ on or before January 22, 2018. If your quartet changed personnel during the year and/or you failed to re-register your quartet by the January 15, 2018 deadline, your Entry Form will bounce.
- Completed CHORUS Entry Forms must be received by SAI HQ on or before January 23, 2018.
Quartet or Chorus Entry Forms received after the entry deadline are considered late – a late fee, along with the required entry fee must accompany the Entry Form. Late entries will not be accepted after 30 days prior to the competition.
NOTE: If you did not receive a confirmation of receipt by SAI HQ of your Entry Form, be proactive and inquire about it immediately. SAI HQ has been known to have problems with faxes especially.
COMPETING FOR EVALUATION
Again this year, choruses have the option of competing for evaluation only by DVD. Choruses choosing this option will be required to pay the usual competition entry fee. This process does not replace the existing competition rule requiring choruses to compete every three years in order to maintain their charters.
Sound – Shirley Kout
Music – Cydney Wentsel
Expression – Paula Davis (Panel Chair)
Showmanship – Barbara Nielsen
Panel Secretary – Marilyn Cox
RISERS – ALTERNATE
ALL choruses will be using the Alternate Riser Configuration again this year: 6 sections of 6-ft. risers and 4 steps with back railing. NO inverted center riser.
Our friends from Region 21 – Ms. Cellaneous – will be coming to Bakersfield to share their music and humor as our official Mic Testers and Webcasters!
Our 2018 Quartet and Chorus Contests and the Parade of Champions will be webcast again this year! Watch the R11NG for more information as plans are finalized! The live webcast is supported by donations. To view the archived webcast, there will be an additional charge of $25.
WINNERS’ CIRCLE QUARTET RECEPTION
The Region 11 Winners’ Circle will hold a reception for all competing quartets hosted by our 2017 Regional Champions, Ringin’ Again! More specific details on this reception will be sent to all competing quartets in February 2018.
CHANGES TO NAME / CONTACT INFORMATION
If you, your quartet, chorus, or director have changed names or contact information in the past year, be sure to notify International Headquarters immediately so Contest Entry Forms go to the correct person. Choruses and quartets should list both names on the Contest Entry Form.